--from The Bishop’s Man by Linden MacIntyre. The diocese administers 40 churches, which are organised in 15 ecclesiastical parishes. The Bishop's Man is a novel by Canadian writer Linden MacIntyre, published in August 2009. Father Duncan, the first person narrator, has been his bishop's dutiful enforcer, employed to check the excesses of priests and, crucially, to suppress the evidence. A few years back, in one of my own memoirs (Pinhead), I commented that I thought the Catholic priesthood with its requirement of celibacy was probably one of the loneliest professions on earth. Read an excerpt | Author interviews.

“The Bishop’s Man centres on a sensitive topic — the sexual abuses perpetrated by Catholic priests on the innocent children in their care. Formerly there were 27 such parishes, but their number has been reduced by extensive pastoral reorganisation between 2012 and 2015.

Father Duncan, the first person narrator, has been his bishop's dutiful enforcer, employed to check the excesses of priests and, crucially, to suppress the evidence.

The Bishop's Man won the Scotiabank Giller Prize in 2009. Kenny Bishop was born in Irvine, Kentucky in 1966 to Kenneth and Shirly Bishop. His subsequent investigation takes him on a sordid and surprising path. “The Bishop’s Man centres on a sensitive topic — the sexual abuses perpetrated by Catholic priests on the innocent children in their care. “The Bishop’s Man centres on a sensitive topic — the sexual abuses perpetrated by Catholic priests on the innocent children in their care. It is a novel that I can easily see winning the award (and it in fact did so,) given the way that it reflects the troubling headlines in our country and society these days, and given the depth, perception and sense of place with which the author writes. Enjoying the timeless sight of a father and son piloting a boat, Duncan takes a moment’s rest from his worries.

Washington, D.C. Newsroom, May 26, 2020 / 01:00 pm MT (CNA).- The Minnesota Catholic Conference on Tuesday called the death of a black man while he was in …

Indeed, MacIntyre writes with great authority. The Bishop's Man on Amazon.com.

Father Duncan MacAskill has spent most of his priesthood as the 'Exorcist' - an enforcer employed by his bishop to discipline wayward clergy and suppress potential scandal.

Father MacAskill’s voice is a nice mixture of hope and melancholy, and I enjoyed that combination as MacAskill himself leaned one way or the other throughout the book. In other words, in the last twenty years, whenever there has been a problem with a fellow priest, the Bishop sends Father MacAskill to handle the problem with speed and discretion. Father Duncan, the first person narrator, has been his bishop's dutiful enforcer, employed to check the excesses of priests and, crucially, to suppress the evidence.

Despite being a work of fiction, The Bishop’s Man has the ring of truth.